Friday, February 26, 2010

I feel as if it is my fatty duty to share with you the deliciousness that has been taking over my life for the past week.  The one and only, amazing kolache my friendly friends.  They are the most incredible little things in my life right now.  If you have never had or heard of such a thing, let me fill you in.  Kolaches are melt in your mouth pastries that are filled with whatever your little heart desires.  My calorie filled choice is ham and cheese, or strawberry.  I would like to thank my Czech friends for inventing the kolache and bringing them into my life.  I would especially like to thank the Czech descendants who live in my state and have kept the family kolache cooking going strong.  I don't give two shits about my jeans being too tight this week, or for the constant heart burn.  Every little morsel is worth it.  I have no idea if these things exist in any other part of the country.  When I lived in Boston, I went in a manhunt and they were no where to be found.  I resorted to my mom becoming a kolache smuggler during her visits.  She almost got busted three times.  I know, scary.  Peeps around these parts take kolache eating very seriously.  So seriously that they hold festivals in honor of the fat pastry.  Thank you festival throwers.  I heart you so.  You have made my breakfast, lunch, and dinner life that much better.  I strongly suggest that all of you find a kolache and put it in your mouth. If you find no such kolache in your hood, we can probably work something out with my mom.  You can pay her in danishes.  Enjoy.

2 comments:

Lindsey Childress said...

Agreed. I will pay your mom in danishes if she overnights some of that magic I found in her refrigerator. Especially since I about shit myself when I realized I had missed the exit for that amazing Czech place on the drive home last weekend. Boo.

CStans said...

On my many drives from Austin to Houston, I don't remember a time when I didn't stop for kolaches. When I started my blog, Texas food and the awesomeness that is a kolache was one of my first topics. Poor, sad, other coasts trying to get by on donuts alone.