Wednesday, December 9, 2009

MY NEW, WEIRD OBSESSION



I don't know what it is about these people, but I cannot get enough.  Hoarders.  Yes, the crazies who keep everything in life, and have it build up into unlivable conditions. It all started with the new A&E show about them.  I love watching these people, and seeing the crazy world that they live in.  I just want to get in their heads for a minute and sort through all of their delusions.   My fave part is when they cameras first enter the houses and reveal the piles and piles of shit.  And sometimes it is literally shit.  It is so sad and amazing at the same time.  After my first encounter with the show, I couldn't stop thinking about these people.  I quickly turned to Google and researched some of the most infamous hoarders. I then wrote the names down, went home and searched my instant Netflix for hoarding documentaries.  Found! 

 "Grey Gardens"-Documentary pioneers the Maysles brothers (Gimme Shelter) capture poignant moments in the lives of Edith Bouvier Beale (Big Edie) and her middle-aged daughter, Little Edie -- relatives of Jackie O -- at their decaying estate, Grey Gardens. The ladies shut out their bleak present by recalling richer times and lost loves, and while Little Edie confides that she'd like to leave, the camera captures a co-dependency destined to continue.
   These women were bat ass crazy, had some major style for back in the day, and I couldn't stop watching.  They had raccoons living with them in the bedroom, and cats all over the place.  Ewww.  It was def entertaining to watch, but gave me the sads too.  But still, the obsession is in full swing.  I will be spending a significant time watching and reading about Hoarders.  They fascinate me to no end.  If you have time, check out the show on A&E, Mondays at 10/9 Central.  Love it.

12 comments:

SurferWife said...

Came over from that MODG lady's site. I also recognize you slinking around the same dirty, little comment back alleys as I do. Figured I better follow you.

OMG, that show gives me anxiety. But I watched and flip out at the TV the whole episode.

Organic Meatbag said...

I have a 35 year old friend that lives the same way...in his parents' basement...for real...and he's a virgin...why the fuck is he my friend, you ask? Beats me!

SPEAKING FROM THE CRIB said...

i love MODG so i'm here. anyhow, hoarders is my top 5 have-to watch shows. i love it b/c it normally involves

overweight southern women
mother-obsessed gays (sometimes southern, which are the best, sometimes not)
18 dead cats in varying states of decay in the garage

i'm writing a whole post on it one of these days.

i so get it.

Unknown said...

haven't got to catch an episode yet but I wanted to watch. I think it is sad and like you you have to wonder how they got that way..

Unknown said...

I'm TERRIFIED of becoming one of those people! It fascinates me and horrifies me at the same time.
Strangely enough, I wrote something slightly related on my blog today.
You must have been reading my disorganized mind.

The Batcave said...

Thanks to the new followers! We will now be following you as well. Is that the correct blog etiquette? We have no clue. Renee, I also have a secret fear of this. Maybe that's why I feel I MUST watch the show, so I know what to do to avoid this. Organic Meatbag, we love you.

jessalyn said...

i started stalking you a little while back because MODG was all about you on her facebook page, so i figured i must follow. i am not one to promote my own sad little blog (its very new, and i dont really think i am that great at it), however, i feel that i should share this with you:
http://capecodateam.blogspot.com/2009/12/hmmhavent-seen-fluffy-in-few-days.html
also, i am from cape cod, so the fact that you and you guys met in boston warms my heart.

Julie said...

hoarders are fascinating, i'm more of a "pack rat" and NO I don't have a problem....haha, love the blog!

Desiree Lynn said...

my father-in-law is a real life hoarder. i kid you not. for the longest time i wasn't allowed in certain parts of the house. now that i'm married to their baby boy i have seen it. their den, back porch, basement, and one bathroom are covered in newspapers. i still haven't seen the basement...

sarah said...

OMG. Please give me all of the inside dirt on her. Like is she really skinny in person or maybe a little chubby? I NEED THIS INFORMATION.


I am obsessed with the show Hoarders. And Intervention. Did you see the episode where the woman had two dead cats petrified under all of her shit? AMAZING TELEVISION. (Although my fiancee refuses to watch with me because he hates me.)

jules said...

Oh, I've totally been meaning to catch that show. Hoarders are fascinating to me! I mean, I believe in sentimental value, but I love to throw stuff away too.

Unknown said...

Ok...i'll admit i'm a little...ALOT OCD when it comes to organizing my home. I have a place for everything and if you move it, trust me i'll know :)-
These gals have got some serious crap i'm sure. I mean just look at those outfits...i'm dying!!!